Monday, October 5, 2015

Mission Week 13: Hospitalet


This week was so great, I don't know how to just give a summary, so I am going to give you a day to day report. Sorry it might be long, but I didn't want to miss anything.
 
 
TUESDAY
After preparation day last week I got to take Elder Muncy contacting. His companion went home so he needed a companion so I went with him. It was so great I loved getting to lead my area. It gave me so much confidence. I had to rely on my own Spanish and I did so well, I am really progressing. I really loved it for two reasons. First, I got to see different teaching styles and how I can use some of them to become a better missionary. The other reason was that I really came to appreciate the companion I do have. We actually work so well together. We know each others strengths and weaknesses and we can compliment them. It's so smooth. I was grateful for that reminder.

WEDNESDAY
This was the Lord just giving me a ton of funny stories. 
1. The first one was we met this guy sitting in front of his shop so we starting talking to him. He seemed interested so we started teaching the Restoration. I had just finished reciting Santiago (James) 1:5 perfectly for the first time. I said, "then Joseph went and prayed." Then, he cut me off mid sentence and said, "that's nice, have a great day, adios." I looked at my companion and we both didn't know what to do. He shook our hands and we walked away. It was so awkward and so funny. I died laughing.
2. The second was when we were walking by the health clinic when this guy runs up to us and says, "are you guys the church of Jesus Christ?" We said yes, and he replied, "good, because I am Jesus Christ." My companion politely asked why we didn't know that before, and where he had been. He said that it was a secret, that they hadn't killed him like everyone thought. So my companion asked, "so what should we do about that?" He said we should pray for him because he was going to the clinic. He then threw his cigarette at the floor and walked inside. It was super funny.
3. The last one was at out family home evening with the three wards. We played a game like big bootie but in Spanish. It was so hard, everyone was picking on me because they I knew I couldn't get the phrase right. So I lost super bad. It was so funny, I started changing the phrase to suit how bad I was losing. I had everyone roaring. It was so fun. That's what those pictures are of. Every time someone loses you get a sticker. I got ten....



THORSDAY
Thorsday poured rain. I loved it because it cleanses our city. It washes the nasty smells away. A lot like baptism... Haha..... But I realized that my body is finally used to the beating this work does on it. I have gotten used to the grind. It's the best. Everyone drinks a drink called mate here... It's like herbs and hot water in a cup. You sip it from a straw, and only the flavored water gets filtered through. Everyone loves it, but I hate it. It tastes like warm mud to me. Super gross.

FRIDAY
This day was a miracle. We got a reference for Dora, from her sister. We went to her house and found out that her entire family is members except her. Her three kids are all members and preparing to serve missions in Honduras. She told us she wanted to be baptized and that she could meet with us everyday to prepare. We gave her a Book of Mormon and she gave it back so we could write our testimonies in it. She wants to remember the missionaries. She is so ready, and we didn't do anything. But I know the Lord is blessing me for our obedience, her baptism is in two weeks.
        Then at our missionary coordination meeting I found out that the hermanas have a baptism next week and that she wants me to baptize her. Apparently someone she knows, knows me. I doubt it, but I am so excited. It will be a experience I will never forget.
        Finally, my favorite story of the week. We went to a menos activos member's home and read Lehi's vision with her. After reading segments, Elder Caetano would clarify and summarize and I would act out the story in her doorway. I used the light as the tree of life, the stairs as the great and spacious building, the stair well for eternal darkness, and I was the characters. It just came to my mind. It was so fun. I truly felt like I was myself again. Using my goofy talents to share the Gospel. I shared powerful testimony on the word of God, and she came to conference on Sunday. She saw me and just started laughing and telling people what I did. I know I made a real connection with her.

SATURDAY AND SUNDAY
These conference days have been the best. I have treasured them so much more. I have learned so many things that are going to help me as a missionary and as a disciple of Jesus Christ. The missionaries were all there watching and eating. It was a good time. I missed being at home and having all of the great traditions with the family, but I had such an uplifting and enriching experience. I laughed, I cried, I was filled with the Spirit, and pretzels. When the choir sang the spirit of God, my favorite hymn, I felt so moved by the spirit. Not gonna lie, I shed a tear. I also found out that only ten of the twelve are ever at the conference center at once. That's super cool that the church protects those keys so well. I was so grateful for conference. It was the best. #elderhollandshoutouttomom #elderfostershoutouttodad
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment